So with this blog I am writing about whatever I feel is related to my spiritual path and I was thinking...I haven't written about witch balls!
Traditionally they are a glass orb, hung in an eastern window. They were used to ward off evil, although some of what I read states they were used to "catch and trap" witches...I'm not so sure I believe that. What I found is that they are beautiful glass orbs, traditionally used in protection magic and decorating a home.
They are often brightly colored, and have a hole in the top used for suspending the orb.
I have one hung up in my kitchen window currently.
I will note that interestingly enough, I always had the idea of hanging them up in the window...before I even knew what a "witch's ball" was. This one I got at the Mt. Gretna art show years ago, I was drawn to its colors. It's travelled with me ever since, from apartment to apartment, and now resides in our home.
A closer look and you can see the colors:*Note: my kitchen window is not facing East...But it feels right, where it is*
I also received a gift of another one from a fellow artist friend. Since I love peacocks, she thought I would like the detailing on it that struck her as "like the eyes on peacock tails". She doesn't know of my spiritual beliefs so I found that ironic that another witch ball would find its way to me..but there is no coincidence in the craft,right?
I haven't hung this one yet but maybe today would be a good day to do so. I have had my eye on another large one that I found in a shop in Gettysburg...but pretty soon I will have them all over. But that's hardly a bad thing, right?
One last note, I found that some people refer to them as "fairy Orbs", the legend is that they lend positive energy by attracting fairies. The fairies are drawn to them since they remind them of flowers, and if they like it, they reward the owner with luck.
I haven't really worked with the fairies much, I would like to more,especially when planting my garden this year. Gazing orbs were mentioned while I was researching witch balls. I'd like one for my garden space, especially where we have a Green Man sculpture hanging from one of the trees in our mini "forest" in our backyard.



No comments:
Post a Comment